Saturday 16 September 2017

Effluvium

What made you choose this name for the band ..... Effluvium?

I believe the word Effluvium is aesthetically and audibly beautiful.
Underneath the beauty is a grotesque definition. I think the music is tangled mess of beauty and the grotesque.



In your bandcamp there is Symphony No.1 "Let's drink to life not getting any better" Dedicated to Dmitry Shostakovich, can you tell why you chose this match with such a musician? And what are (if any) the possible affinities you think exist between Effluvium and Shostakovich?

While writing Symphony No. 1 there was, and still is, heightened political tension in the U.S.
I had been listening to a lot of Shastakovich and started doing more research on his time composing under Stalin. I felt strong parallels between the two of us.  Also, I fucking love Russian music.



Shostakovich was an eclectic musician and able to put in his compositions stylistic elements taken from jazz, music hall, honky-tonk, through Beethoven, Haydn and Mahler.
Was his musical eclecticism that made you decide to dedicate to him your songs or other factors like the decadent and obscure atmosphere of his music?




I do believe Effluvium has an eclectic style to it and I definitely listen to a lot of Shastakovich.
I hope there are parallels in our music, but that's not why I chose the title.
When I was doing research I found his quote, "Let us drink to life not getting any better." a toast to his life under Stalin.  I fell in love with, I feel it.

 
 Do you think Effluvium can be termed "classic avant-garde DS" ?

There was a debate amongst dungeon dwellers not too long ago over using the term avant-garde.
I think most Dungeon synth/good music falls into the definition. I like the experimental, radical, and unorthodox.

Have you played with other bands before forming Effluvium?

I have done and will continue to make music outside of Effluvium.
I like to play fast too.  Effluvium sort of came from the ashes of a Grind band I was in.
Effluvium is currently my main project.  I plan to start another Grind band soon and expect a Black Metal Effluvium album in the future


Effluvium's music certainly has a very dark and sinister feeling, this feeling comes from a reflection on life and current US "bourgeois decadence"?

Sure, that's a part of it but I hold a lot of hate, anger, disappointment, and resentment for many other things. First and foremost being the American legal system. The whole institution. Cops, Lawyers, Judges, private owned prisons, the whole fucking institution.

What do you think about this exponential growth of groups and labels in the DS?

The growth of fans and participants in Dungeon Synth, as with any music, has its pros and cons.
Sure there will be a greater chance of BS and not DS releases, but there are a lot of great projects out right now.  People are going hard.  Effluvium has toured a big chunk of the U.S. playing with all sorts of punk, Grind, techno, and noise acts. More interest will hopefully mean more successful tours and hopefully make it possible for me to tour other countries. Touring other countries is the number one goal for Effluvium.


Suicide.
Contemplation to suicide has been the engine that has given you the power to create your own music that I think is fantastic, what are the inputs and motivations that you are trying to create? Do you ever meditate on death and its aesthetic beauty understood as a peak of spirituality?

Death is the only thing that is real. I look forward to it. I'd also like to do a lot of sinning before I go, settle a few debts. If nothing matters or lives forever I can do whatever I want and that's what I plan to do..

Your record label Moonshipper Records, has in its rooster artists that vary greatly in their musical styles, what future plans do you have with this label and are you working on new music right now?

I will always work closely with Moonworshipper, unless I get fired for showing up late to my shift again.
All the music on MW is top notch.  Roman Master is one of my favorite Black Metal artist. Satanic Abortion is fucked up unique brutality.  Some might say avant-garde. Chaucerian Myth and Effluvium will hopefully do a split this winter. Moonworshipper plans to press that on vinyl.  I am very proud of what the label has done and very excited to see it grow. Effluvium is currently working on a new release and will be very different than previous releases, the album will be self-produced.


The songs "Burn the Bodies" and "Breath the Stench" look like two songs from the old Carcass, 
there are groups of even the most varied genres that you particularly like and think they have influenced your music?

Main Musical influences for Effluvium:
Bach, Burzum, Moevot, Laibach, John Carpenter, Peste Noire, Russian composers, Krzysztof Penderecki,Current 93, Coil, and Cult Play. (Moonworshipper, check it out) Many other influences but there is a quick list.


What kind of reads do you like?

Lately I've been reading a lot about Wagner and Stravinsky lately

Last your thoughts and free words

"I am above you, I am satanist."
Satanic Abortion