Friday 14 July 2017

Cloud



When and in what circumstances were you formed as a band?

It was something I had as a personal project to start. Scott took interest and thats when it became an actual band. I'm going to say 2012. But who knows, it was a long time ago for sure.

The stoner doom genre is really inflated by thousands of groups that all sound alike, but in your case I have noticed a differentiation in the creative style, is your intention to detach yourself from certain stoner and doom music cliches or think that playing this genre Does it consist of staying within certain fixed musical parameters?

Personally I never really considered us doom. Stoner rock, Desert rock, whatever, that's always been a huge influence in the way we create music. Progressive music, 80s metal, and really anything with drive kind of articulates our approach. All of that aside, I feel like the shit we write just comes naturally to eachother. It's not always a good thing either. Some of our more simple riffs will be the headaches, but sometimes less is more and sometimes you run out of beer

How did you think of writing a song on the mystical tree of the 9 Worlds of North Yggdrasil culture?

Vikings, Norse mythology, it's all fun to learn and read about. When it was written it really never had a beginning or end. It felt like so many songs packed into one. It made sense to have a song called Yggdrasil. I remember while that song was being written,  we knew it would be last on the album. We look at it as an opening to take any approach or sound we want to take for the new record. We will see

Why print only 100 copies of "Indeterminate"?

Honestly, it's a struggle. That's what we could afford at the time. We have self published everything we have done so far. So keeping the merch stocked has been a real challenge.


Do you think you might even print your previous EP on a physical media?

Everybody wants the 7 inch of the EP. We get flooded with emails about putting it out on physical format. The answer is yes! I want that shit on vinyl just as bad as the next guy. Plus, Mark crushed it with that artwork. That's easily one of my, if not my favorite pieces of art. And  we got to use it for our album cover!!!

I think one of your strength is originality in some ways the influence of progressive music and the characteristic of being a group of instrumentalists where you do not absolutely feel the lack of a singer .. are you thinking of sharing this point of view? Or do you think that you will have a singer in the future, even if only for some songs like "Desert Weed"?

Singers get brought up often. I'm not against the idea at all. Josh likes to run with the idea of a singer when we practice. He will throw in loose lines every once in awhile. But ultimately we never think of a voice on top of our music. Gabriel crushed it on desert weed. If I could get him on every song I would. It doesn't get much better than that

How did you get in contact with Gabriel Ravera of the Mephistofeles band? 
(Mephistopheles is a group that I already jumped to my listening for their skill and originality)

I was into his artwork. Honestly I messaged him as wizardofmeth and asked if he could help me out. It quickly became a friendship. Gabriel has heard everything Cloud has written before the public has. He's shared the Mephistofeles stuff with me before it was released. I've heard songs from the new album already. He's a good dude and a hell of a musician.



How is the current music scene in Pittsburgh? Are there other promising bands?

Pittsburgh is whatever you want to hear. It's here somewhere. Whatever your musical taste.

Did you vote Trump ?
no

Who created the artwork of the album "indeterminate" and with artist for your future work would you like to collaborate together?

Mark Paich is an amazing friend and the helpful genius that constructed the artwork for both our EP and full length. If it was my choice I'd love for Mark to do our artwork work until Cloud is finished. Time will tell.

Do you play live often ?

We play any show we can get