Thursday 4 May 2017

Old Tower interview








Can you tell how Old Tower  came into being ? what are your previous  musical experiences?
I’ve played in a lot of different musical projects before I started out with Old Tower. It’s something I always wanted to music wise, but I never had the skills nor the knowledge about recording, instruments, etc. After a couple of years of playing in bands and doing some ambient projects I got to know ‘how things work’, so to speak. I was no longer limited by my lack of knowledge and could basically express any musical idea’s in my head, but still with some limitations of course. I’m always learning new things along the way.
The project itself started somewhere in summer 2015. I was listening to the first demo by Australian act Forgotten Kingdoms. I must’ve played it at least five times in a row. I always liked music like Mortiis before this, but then I had not listened to him in ages. The Forgotten Kingdoms demo sparked that new flame in me, and the rest is history.

For you what are the pros and cons of having a musical project  by yourself?
I see no cons in this. I can do whatever I want, I’m not limited by other people and I have complete control over my sounds and artistic vision. The only person who has contributed to the project so far is my trusted comrade Baron Yrch Malachi. He did some background lore that complemented “The Rise of the Specter” LP and helped me with mastering it for the vinyl. His services will be called upon again in the future, for sure. 




How do you see this new attention toward this so called “dungeon-synth” genre?

Do you think that a more exposure of the dungeon synth music could be positive or negative for it?
I don’t really care to be honest. A lot of ‘dungeon synth’ coming out these days does not even sound like it, but is just silly fantasy music. I won’t say I completely reject the term since it still means something to me but I completely distance myself from what’s going on nowadays in this scene. However, a label like Out of Season still gains my full support, since he understands what Old Tower is about and has always supported me in the best of ways. The rest is obsolete.

Your music seems to be extremely dark but at the same time extremely pleasant to listen to. Exists for you a source of inspiration that is completely out of the music and if so what?
Most, if not all, of my inspiration is not influenced by any musical things. Of course, I got inspired to make this music by another music artist, but it quickly developed into something of its own. Old Tower is my way of expressing my own inner world, beliefs and emotions that come from within, with little outside influence. It’s something I learned through the years: stay true to yourself and the best things will come out. Let things inspire you, but become an inspiration as well.
What is your vision of the religious and spiritual world? Is there a belief or a particular current to which you feel closer?
I’m interested in these subjects, but I don’t have any belief systems I hold on to.

Do you have an opinion on the widespread proliferation of bands and groups devoted to dark synth music, Celtic, Nordic, ritual etc?
I think it’s a good thing seeing European traditions being represented in music. Such things are always a good source of inspiration for creating and devoting your music to.

Do you find it difficult to handle both Old Tower and Blood Tyrant?
Both are completely different from each other, so… No.

Talk about collaborations with Sacred Dominions and Orodruin, how did they come from, and beyond that do you expect to collaborate with other artists in the future?
The split with Sacred Dominions came along through a long mail conversation with its creator and we decided to make a split release. I’m still very happy with it, and it’s good to see that Tour De Garde decided to re-release his side on a single cassette since it definitely deserves it.
My collaboration with Orodruin was a no brainer. He’s been a friend for years and his previous works were a huge influence for me when I first started listening to music. It was an honor for me to work with him on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment