Monday 22 May 2017

Primeval Spell interview

I see that the primeval spell project is pretty young, in fact the beginning dates back to 2016 if I'm correct.
Can you tell us how it was born and what were the circumstances and motivations for having founded Primeval Spell?


Primeval Spell is a concept that began somewhere around late 2014 but didn't get materialized until last year's Samhain, with the Demo release. The project was born during terrible and turbulent times as an attempt to mirror and interpret the somber aspects of isolation, reclusion, and my own spiritual detachment from modernity.



Who is behind Primeval Spell?


Orkroth is the sole member of Primeval Spell, that being myself. I carry out all the aspects of the project, from composition to visuals.

The first relevance and approach that I could notice in the sounds of Primeval Spell is that with Mortiis ...
Do you think it might be right? And if so, what inspired you from such a renowned group and milestone of the genre dungeon synth? 


Indeed, I've heard the comparison before but at the same time, which other projects that are being filed sonically under the traditional "Dungeon Synth" genre haven't, at some point or the other? I wouldn't personally file Primeval Spell as Dungeon Synth - nor care to label it as anything -  as the genre doesn't inspire me to make this music anymore. My real inspirations come from other Post-industrial underground genres, a deep connection to Nature, Traditions, and Folkloric arcana.   
Nevertheless, I have utmost respect for Mortiis and his entire body of work; the Blood And Thunder 7" being my favorite of his.



Do you read a lot ? And what books in particular?

Yes. I focus mostly on works regarding Herbalism, Magic and Witchcraft, European folklore, and natural sustainability to name a few. I pay no attention to fantasy literature these days. 

Primeval Spell is a project that you think will only stay in the studio or there is the plan of playing live one day?

There are ongoing plans for near-future live performances, although it is still uncertain if these will come to fruition.



I've just seen the Primeval Spell "Litany of Eclipsed" cassette tape on Hollow Myths just released,There were two versions offered correct?
The self released copies and this cooperation Hollow Myths? Can you tell me about that? I noticed it has a very special package which is wonderful! In your FB there is a post telling
"A Full Moon blood offering intended for the last 3 remaining tapes of the limited 13".
So tell me it is a mere advertising and desire to impress the various nerd and dork of the DS genre?
(did you use your real blood for that pic?) So what is the blood for you? What meaning does it represent for you?


That's correct, the Demo tapes were originally self-released and limited to 50, although the first 13 copies were tied and packaged with thorns, dripped with candle wax and as you noted, some were smeared with a ritual blood offering. So, to answer your question without revealing too much, I believe that traditional witchcraft ceremonies that are structurally altered to express a deeper personal intent, can be much more powerful than following a set of strict outlines that might not work for the caster. A ceremony is intrinsically bound to those casting it, ergo the use of my own blood...it would be pointless if it wasn't. On the other hand, regarding followers of the genre and advertising, Primeval Spell represents my own personal ruminations, I don't need any positive or negative attention and couldn't care less about who listens or discovers the project.



How did you get in touch with Hollow Myths?


My connection with Hollow Myths was formed after the man behind the label privately contacted me. We exchanged some ideas, shared thoughts, and agreed to re-package the Litany of Eclipsed Conjurations Demo, the rest is history. HM is a label I respect, and can get behind its commitment, and stern unapologetic nature. 

What are your spiritual beliefs? and if any, can tell me why are these, and the path that you have led you to them?


My spiritual beliefs are the result of a deep connection to the natural realm, and a constant rediscovery, or unlearning, so-to-speak, of the pre-christian native European religion and traditions, which to a significant extent have been misinterpreted and shrouded by the fog of Early-Medieval christian arrogance, modern hedonism, and new-age universalism. Besides this, the acknowledgement of the inevitability of the pending fall of the modern world, and the harmful effects that its rotten civilization has had on everything sacred, has led me to find religious solace through isolation. I'd say the sooner civilization falls, the better.



What do you think can be expressed of musical originality in the Dungeon Synth nowadays?
After bands such as Mortiis, Wongraven, Neptune Towers, Eternal Fear,.... etc etc  and so many others have already recorded so much good music in the past?


I consider the Dungeon Synth projects of the 90's to represent the creative pinnacle of the genre in its truest form. I don't follow the current Dungeon Synth genre, or "scene" as some might call it (how ridiculous), and have very little interest in the digitally-absorbed projects which are being praised nowadays, most of which seem like uninteresting cheap attempts at fame-riding on a genre that has only had increased attention recently. Trends come and go, but the underground will always thrive.

Your last words ;)

I would like to thank you for the interview, and expect a new release soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment